My Odometer

Upcoming Races

March 11, 2009

Dropping the Ball...Getting serious

Have I really not posted in two weeks? I swear that's impossible. Honestly, I find it hard to believe, and wonder if there's a lost post out there.

I really dropped the ball going into last week. The ShamRock & Roll was last week, and though short for my workout, I didn't sign up or run in the 5k. This isn't such a big deal, because of the distance of the race. However, it was something I had wanted to do. It was a perfect storm of things happening: clocks changing for daylight savings, busy schedule, cold. Except, it turned out to be 65 on Sunday, and in the 50s by the time the race was run. I gambled. I lost. The half marathon is at the end of May, and it is a definite. There is a 5k coming up, if I feel like running. I think I should. It's the Saturday before track starts.



The past two weeks, I've been experimenting with a new running program. Running 5 miles 3 days a week, while lifting, doing abs, and doing 2+ miles on the PreCor on alternate days. It's all a hybrid of the track distance kids' workouts, and Runner's World's 16 week Marathon prep schedule (I have just over 30 weeks prior to my race, so I have SOME wiggle room to build up more gradually). I'm already at a week 3 type schedule. That gives me about 12 more steps. If I have 30 Saturday's prior to the race, that gives me some time to grow. The last 3 weeks are scaling back, leading up to the race. I'd like to keep them that way. Nobody should taper too early. That leaves me 9 more steps. If I can do each step for 3 weeks leading up to those last three weeks, in theory I should be prepared for the marathon in October.



Building up the mileage was my biggest fear. This seems very possible. Every time that I look at it, my confidence for successful completion of the marathon. AWESOME.



Finally, I'm not at my own computer typing this. So, there are two iMixes from recent workouts I thought that I'd share.





0 comments:

Total Donuts Burned

There is nothing that will not bend to hard work.

Cheeseburgers Burned

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP