My Odometer

Upcoming Races

April 22, 2011

Return of the 20 mile week...

*** Warning - This is not an exciting or well-written post.  I'm just happy. ***
This week, for the first time in over 6 months, I logged a 20 mile week.  Actually, it was 21.  This never happens at this time of the year.

Since I've caught this running bug, I usually take a winter break.  Then, I'd start again after I gained a bunch of weight.  When track season began, and I had to coach, my running became more irregular.  This year, I gained the weight, never stopped running, and maintained some strength.  Therefore, having my first real time off since Christmas, I took to the road with a vengeance this week.

It isn't as though my most recent weeks have led to this.  The fact is, that is as far from the truth as possible (the past 3 weeks, I've only run 22 miles total).  However, something made me feel strong on a long run last weekend, so I decided to try it again on Monday.  Somewhere around the second 2 mile loop on Monday, I had made up my mind...I'm going for 20 this week.

For "real runners" 20 mile weeks are meant for recovery.  For me, they are always an accomplishment.  Married, 3 year-old, work, coaching, the work I bring home, trying to do the right thing...all of these generally come before running.  Plus I'm slow.  This week, I was able to juggle all my hats, run a bunch, and actually nap a few times.  That made me a very happy camper.  It's a really simple system (when I don't have work) to reach 20: 4, 2-3, 5-6, 3-4, and 5-6.

There have been hot days and cold days.  Sun, rain, and wind have met me on my runs.  Through it all, I've just been psyched I could get this mileage in.  The times weren't fantastic, but they weren't awful either.  I just really am happy about all this running, hoping that I've got a really good base, with less than 2 months until summer vacation, and some real training.

And it was all possible, thanks to the music this week...

0 comments:

Total Donuts Burned

There is nothing that will not bend to hard work.

Cheeseburgers Burned

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP