My Odometer

Upcoming Races

May 20, 2011

When pigs fly...

Plenty must have already been written on Cincinatti's 13th annual Flying Pig Marathon.  It must have been; I heard these stories on Sklarbro Country.  So, despite the facts that it has the greatest name in marathons, and the two stories I'd like to discuss have been discussed ad nauseum, I'm still going to make my comments.


First, to start with the bad news.  The Urbana (OH) Daily Citizen reported (May 2), "Police charged Brett S. Henderson, 35, with public indecency and obstructing official business."  This all occurred during the marathon.  "What happened?," one may ask.  That's the crazy part.  The story is simple: "Cincinnati police arrested a [Henderson] who was running naked in Sunday's Flying Pig Marathon and Tased him when he wouldn't comply with their orders to stop.


Wait...he was running naked you say?  Not quite so simple, after all.  "[Henderson] said he borrowed a pair of running shorts from his father, Stephen, but that after he started the marathon, they started slipping off. I looked but couldn't find a drawstring ... I kept fighting and pulling on them, and then the elastic gave way so I let them drop," said Brett... [So I] just went with it because I wanted to finish the marathon."


But what makes the article that much worse, is that the Daily Citizen notes Henderson had been in the paper a few weeks earlier.  "Henderson, a Graham High School graduate and former state wrestling champion, was pictured in the Daily Citizen on April 15 representing Solar Power and Light of Miamisburg in a new energy venture with the village of St. Paris and its South High Street well field."  Nothing like making a good impression at the office.  Not only did the man run a marathon pantsless, he got Tased in a state of pants-less-ness...and the local paper rightfully reported on it, and mentioned his place of business.  Mr. Henderson, I can only imagine that running sans pants for 26+ miles is painful and awkward, but now, for you place of employment, you've become a PR nightmare!  I feel slightly sorry for you.


Now for the good news...Columbia, SC's WLTX reported on the winner of the women's Flying Pig Marathon, a local woman.  "Amy McDonaugh, a 34-year-old from Irmo, S.C., crossed the finish line in 2 hours, 58 minutes, 14 seconds [in Cincinnati] to win her first marathon." What makes the feat noteworthy is Amy McDonaugh's story.  You see, not only is Amy McDonaugh a sub-3 hour marathon runner, a mother of several children, and...oh yeah...she's also legally blind.  The woman has no peripheral vision.  That's pretty awesome, on her part.  I also wanted to make note of it because my cousins went/go to Irmo High School, and when I heard the town mentioned, I had one of those light bulb moments.


Okay, I just wanted to make notes of those news articles...even if it's two weeks later...

0 comments:

Total Donuts Burned

There is nothing that will not bend to hard work.

Cheeseburgers Burned

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP