My Odometer

Upcoming Races

June 15, 2011

Last day of school

It was the last day of school, so by 2:00 I was on the road, getting 4 miles in.  It has been cooler and overcast lately, but today, the sun was out.  With four miles on the schedule, it seemed like a doable run, even if the temp was a good 10+ degrees hotter than yesterday.

What I didn't count on was how sore I'd be.  Having already run the average of my last two weeks in the first two days of this week, I was understandably heavy-legged.  The going was slow, but the soundtrack was pumping (as always, when I start to feel like a run isn't going as I'd hoped, I switched to my top-25 playlist), and I was working my way through it.

There I was, about 3/4 of the way done, when I noticed another runner.  He looked as haggard as me, though about 20 years old.  We ran for about 200 yards together, briefly chatting.  Here is our exchange:

"Sure is hotter than the last few days, didn't think I'd notice it this much," he said.
"Yeah, I totally agree.  I wasn't as prepared for the temperature difference as I would think."
"Tomorrow, I'm going to have to wake up earlier and run before work," he said.
Not wanting to let on that I didn't have work in the morning, I was a bit more cryptic when I said, "Yeah, me too."  In reality, I was psyched, because tomorrow, I didn't have work...or the day after...or for the rest of the summer.  I would have early morning runs.  So I added, "It should be nice and cool tomorrow morning.  Can't wait for that..."

The stranger, smiled as he went up one road, and I turned down the opposite street, as he said, "Well, enjoy the rest of your run."

I thanked him.  Oh, I would enjoy the rest of that run, oh yes I would...

Hello, summer vacation :)

0 comments:

Total Donuts Burned

There is nothing that will not bend to hard work.

Cheeseburgers Burned

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP